Saturday, October 4, 2008

Less Bars in More Places

A wonderful thing this new i-Phone. It truly is remarkable, allowing you to access as many email accounts as you want at the touch of one button (unlike the single minded and inflexible Blackberry), download the coolest apps that can add navigation capabilities, allow you to track Election 08 or simply play hangman at the touch of a button. But this thing of beauty is hitched to an unreliable wireless network, the AT&T network. Lured by the promise of "More bars in more places" I switched 4 phone lines over from Verizon so my wife and I could avail ourselves of this wonderful convergence electronic gadget. And now I can not get a signal in my house unless I am standing exactly in the middle of the master bedroom. I drop more calls than ever. This is a prime example of marketing departments that overpromise and underdeliver. Such poor customer experiences create a sense of deception and diminish brand value. AT&T neeeds to soberly look at its network capability and find the differentiating point that will be relevant and can be fulfilled by their capabilities. No false promises. Until then, I would recommend their advertising team reconsider their tagline and switch to the more truthful "Less bars in more places".

No comments: